Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A Change of Scenery and A Change of Topic!

Hey everyone!

So far it has been an amazing, work-filled, and pretty insightful week. First, to begin, I found out on the  day after my return to Milwaukee that my research project would be changed from dealing with biodegradable fluids to working with reservoir sizing. Thus far the new name for my project is "Determining an Engineering Basis for Specifying the Size of a Hydraulic Reservoir"

After doing some initial digging on the criteria for reservoir sizing I was pretty shocked to figure out that there was no engineering or mathematical basis behind why the size of a hydraulics reservoir has to the size it is. I was able to determine that criteria used to size the reservoir include pump flow, cylinder displacement, slope, heat rejection, and aeration. One recommendation offered by many sources stated that the reservoir size should be 2-3 times your flow rate from the pump. What if there were a way to make it smaller?

My project will essentially revolve around the criteria used to size a hydraulic reservoir. I will stop here, but I just wanted to give you all a brief preview of what my project has become since leaving Purdue. I have a couple schematics and pictures of some of the equipment that I'll be working with, but that's for next time!

Thanks for reading!

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment